Tips on How to Spot a Cowboy Builder
When you contract a tradesman to carry out work in your home you need to ensure you are choosing the right people for the job as things can go very wrong if you choose the wrong one.
Below are some Tips on How to Spot a Cowboy Tradesman
- Offers very cheap quotes - this could mean they are a cowboy, or could not be experienced enough to give accurate figures so it is wise to get a few quotes / estimates.
- Is avoiding putting quote in writing- A reputable tradesman will have no problem giving a written quotation or estimate
- Is unwilling to provide references/ Testimonials – A reputable tradesmen’s will have no problem with you contacting pass clients for a reference
- Ready to start work straight away – Cowboys Builders often work in one area and move on quickly leaving unfinished work behind them and are impossible to track down.
- Reluctant to provide details about their business - landline numbers, address
- Claims to be a member of trade association- But not listed on associations website and gives you story about a mess up on their part and tell you they are sorting it out
- Not too willing to agree to a contract for work to be undertaken by him/her –
- Asks for money up front -a reliable builder won’t ask you to do this, not even if they need materials. If they run a business, they should have enough money to cover these costs themselves and only ask for payment once they’ve completed the job, or done a reasonable amount of work
- Doesn’t charge VAT when they should - if they are a small or new trader, they may not need to register or pay VAT. It depends on how much work they do in a year. If they should be registered, they could be avoiding paying it, to save money and charge less than others.
- Only accepts cash- this could be a sign they are not registered and can’t accept cheque /card payments as they don’t have a company bank account.